Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Organizing the Paperwork

I'm not too sure about the whole idea of giving advice on organization.  I don't consider myself an expert on organization, but I try to be organized so I can better focus on teaching, as opposed to hunting down missing papers as deadlines approach.  I'm happy to help others organize, but I also think this process works better when personalized.  Anyway, here's what works for me... for now...  until I find a better way!

I don't know anyone who went into teaching because they loved paperwork, but it's a big part of the job.  Teachers who are organized have an easier time staying on top of the paperwork (and focusing on the "teaching" part of the job) throughout the year.  A little extra time spent at the beginning of the year saves so much time later on.  This is a real value when you are balancing your time with school and family obligations!  I want to be able to honor God in how I manage my time.

Here are a few of the ways I've found to tame those piles of paperwork:


A teacher "control" binder- very important to having what you need in team meetings, etc. and you model good organization for the students!
1.  Gather supplies-

        1½-2 inch binder (the ones with the clear inserts for the cover!)
        School year calendar (free one from the local credit union)
        Pocket folders or sheet protectors (just a few needed)
        Zipper pouch
        Pen, pencil, highlighter
        Post-it notes
        Optional- scissors, tape, glue stick, notebook 3-hole punch (can be handy!)

2.    Label your binder- make a cool cover page with your name, room number, teaching assignment, and a personal touch.  This goes in the front cover insert.
3.    Put school events on calendar.  Add important items from the monthly staff calendar and personal items you need to remember (appointments, meetings, birthdays)
4.    Place the monthly staff calendar in the back cover insert of your binder for easy reference
5.    Label your divider tabs (adjust to fit your needs)

  • Calendar (if you only have 5 tabs, just place the calendar in front w/out a tab) 
  • Campus stuff (passwords, policy notes, etc) 
  • Students (Rosters, seating charts, current grade summary, code SPED, ESL, and PreAP) 
  • Parent Contact (Contact info and log of calls and emails) 
  • Lessons (current week’s plans, TEKS, syllabus) 
  • Projects (clubs, science camps, UIL- separate dividers for each is nice) 

6.    Put supplies in zipper pouch 

WHEN you have items you need to keep with you for easy access, place them in the appropriate section in your binder.  UPDATE student information often (at least every 3 weeks, but every week is better).  Lesson plans can be moved to another file/binder when you are finished- definitely clean out every six weeks so you aren’t carrying unnecessary clutter.

Desktop files- As a teacher, you will use some of your files almost daily.  These need to be easy for you to grab and put away AND available if a sub is filling in for you.  These are our critical desktop files.

Gather some plain or colored folders and/or pocket folders with brads and felt tip pens (I like color coding!)  Find or purchase a desktop file organizer (the kind that holds a FEW file folders vertically.)  You will use this to stand these on your desk for easy access.

Next, label your folders.  Possible files you may wish to use are:
  • Advisory/Homeroom Class Pocket folder with current class list, monthly character trait packet, AVID lessons, and tutoring notes 
  • Attendance Actually, I use folders with brads for these- a separate colored folder for each class- the attendance form is in the brads, my seating chart is in the front pocket, and modifications/IEP’s are in the back pocket 
  • Content Mastery/Learning Lab Passes I include a master copy to use when my supply gets low. 
  • Lab Safety Contracts This folder will include a roster on the front and will be used to collect safety contracts. It will be moved OFF your desk once all contracts are collected. EXTRA blank copies should be kept for transfer students 
  • Progress Reports/Report Cards A plain folder is fine- you will collect/track signed reports, then file them in the team room. I just re-use the folder for the next batch of reports, 3 weeks away. I find it handy to keep dog dollar guidelines taped inside the folder and attach a class roster to the front.
There aren’t many of these files, but that will keep your desktop neat and uncluttered.  I also use my vertical file organizer to store my control binder when it’s not being used.

Keep extra folders in your lower desk drawer so you can make additional ones as needed, and feel free to move folders you aren’t using often to that desk drawer.


Desk drawer files- These are files you need close by, but not on a daily basis.  You may only use them a few times in the year, but you will know where they are when you need them!  I like to use hanging files in the bottom drawer on my desk.  You can label tabs for them, or label a manilla folder and just place it in a hanging file.  Possible files are:
  • Absence from Duty- Blank forms for when you need to request time off AND copies of completed/approved forms for future reference- clear out each year 
  • Back to School- checklists, schedules, activities, and plans 
  • Birthday Certificates 
  • Blank Seating Charts 
  • Certification- I keep any continuing education certificates that I may need when it comes time for a renewal of my teaching certificate. 
  • Class Syllabus- Extras for transfer students 
  • Computer Help- Passwords, manuals, handouts from training 
  • Counselor Referrals/Passes
  • End of School- checklists, schedules, activities, and plans 
  • Field Trip
  • Lab Safety Contracts This file begins on your desk; and once contracts are collected, store them in the drawer OFF the desk. 
  • Lesson Plans- I keep the current plans in my binder, and move them to this folder when they aren’t needed any longer. I have ALL my year’s lesson plans in one place (and in order if I add plans to the back of the folder) and available for reference in the future. I do all my plans on the computer and don’t use a “planbook” 
  • Locker Assignments- Includes combinations and students assigned to each locker. This folder will actually stay on my desk for the first few weeks of school as students get used to the locker combinations. Then it moves into my desk drawer as it won't be needed too often. 
  • New Students- Checklists of things new students will need, I keep this file near the ones for lab safety contracts, locker lists, syllabus, etc. 
  • PTA Forms/Fundraisers
  • Purchase Order Forms
  • TAKS/STAAR- Information books sent from the state, benchmark data… 
  • Textbook Inventory- Check this each six weeks to make sure students have their own book number.
EXTRA folders are great to have on hand when you get items you want to keep that need a “home”.  You can make new files on the spot as you get new papers in.  

The bottom desk drawer is large enough to hold the Faculty Handbook binder, too!


Student work trays- I label a tray for each class or subject area.  I do not have these on my desk- I need the work space!  I have a table for student materials, which includes these trays, as well as hole punchers, staplers, a tape dispenser... any items I want available for students as they prepare to turn in work. 
We also use journals extensively, and I keep a sturdy crate (usually color coded) for each class to use for journal storage.  These are usually stored under the student table and pulled out as needed.


When I've finished grading papers, I bundle them in a color coded binder clip to hand out the following day.


Follow-Up- Setting up an organizational system is only the beginning.  After actually filing everything in its new home, you'll need to maintain your system.  When new papers come in, decide if it is something you need to take action on now (has a deadline), file for later (may need again), or throw into the trash/recycling bin.  Make it a point to clean your work surface every day before leaving.  This means putting things where they belong, not hiding them!  I do leave out items I will need immediately the following morning.


These systems have been customized to fit my classroom needs, and I update them a bit each year.  What ideas work for you?


The time we are given is so precious and is truly a gift from God.  Being organized is a way to honor God by using that gift effectively.



No comments:

Post a Comment